Saturday, September 29, 2012

The Master (2012)





















The Master
Well, this was one of my most anticipated movies of the year.
I'm a big P.T Anderson fan.
Finally saw this today in 70mm at the Alamo Ritz.
I was wanting more out of the story.
What I got is some very damn good performances.
I mean, we got an alcoholic high tempered Joaquin Phoenix.
We got a relaxed philosopher played by Philip Seymour Hoffman.
Good shots.
Good score (by the guy from Radiohead).
But, the story?
I was a bit disappointed.
I mean, I get it.
It's a master trying to save a lost soul.
That's basically the story. 
It's nothing to do with the rise and fall of this cult
or philosopher. 
It's about the relationship between the characters.
Lots of drinking happens in the movie.
Some of it was too hardcore for my taste.
But, it did make me want to order some hard stuff.
I'll added to my P.T Anderson section when it comes out on DVD.
If I didn't have that section, I might not add this.