Monday, September 23, 2013

Fantastic Fest: The Sacrament (2013)

FANTASTIC FEST 2013
Screening #6:

The Sacrament IMDb
I heard good things about this movie from the first screening.  I love "House of the Devil" (same director, Ti West).  So, I gave it a shot.  This is my least favorite film of the festival. It sucked.  Had no idea this was a found footage movie.  It takes a lot for a found footage movie to impress me.  A lot.  This one broke lots of rules.  Didn't make sense.  As for the story, I thought this was going to be original and somewhat inspired by the stuff that happened with the Jim Jones cult history.  I was wrong.  This is exactly the Jim Jones cult story told found footage style.  Yes, the punch scene is there.  Yes, the shootings of the press and helicopter scene is there.  Most things that I remembered from the Jim Jones story was there.  If you're not familiar with the story, it is the real life story about this Pentecostal guy who had so many followers and he wanted to create paradise.  He flew all his followers to this remote village and they created a paradise where no one can escape.  He brainwashed people and when things got heated, he made everyone and their children kill themselves by drinking punch filled with poison.  This movie sucked also because of the acting and for certain moments.  Avoid at all costs.  Can't believe this was shown at this festival.  But, since Eli Roth (presenter of the movie) and Ti West are friends with Tim League (festival director), there's no question about it.
No trailer found for this movie.