Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Fantastic Fest 2013: Journey to the West: Conquering the Demons (2013)

FANTASTIC FEST 2013 
Screening #11:

Journey to the West: Conquering the Demons IMDb
Had the pleasure of watching a Stephen Chow film at Fantastic Fest.  I can die now.  Well, the movie itself was pretty good. Love majority of it.  The last 20 minutes or so, was a little bland for me.  It starts out beautifully.  A poor but good hearted demon hunter tries to become the best.  He is overshadowed by a bad ass demon hunter girl.  Crazy stuff happens in that journey.  There are a lot of moments that one can tell they're watching a Stephen Chow flick.  Lots of exaggerated action and martial arts.  Very animated live action. Dialogue is there as well.  Things started going downhill for me when our main character changed completely towards the end.  It was so sudden.  As a fan of Chow, I would buy this and add this to his section.  For everyone else, I recommend this as a rental to start with.