Monday, September 22, 2014

Fantastic Fest: Force Majeure (2014)

Fantastic Fest 2014
Screening #17

(Number 16 is Haemoo but I can't write it until Wednesday night because I saw a press screening with a strict embargo)

Alright, the only reason I saw this French Drama was because there was a lot of hype since it first played a few days ago.  A lot of Fantastic Fest attendees call it one of their favorite movies.  Well, I didn't think so.   The presenter warned us that this isn't a genre movie but they still wanted to bring it to Fantastic Fest.  The movie was okay for me.  Good performances.  I was wanting more out of the story, though.  This is a story about a family trip to this ski resort.  A big avalanche happens and the father panics and leaves his family behind.  From their on out, it's about him and his wife fighting for over what happened.  We witness a couple that aren't in love anymore.  Somehow, they're their just for the kids.  I guess I was wanting more things to happen.  Maybe I was wanting a great wild nature vs. man story with this subplot.  Good realistic moments, though.
Overall, this was okay to see if you're in the mood for a drama, but not a priority.