Tuesday, December 31, 2013

***Favorite Films of 2013***

It's that time of the year again.
The time where lots of critics and cinephiles post their Top 10 (or Top 13 because of 2013).
Most of them post their picks throughout this last month.
I always wait until the very last day to post.
Like always, it's a difficult task choosing my favorites. 
I saw 80 movies this year that are considered 2013 according to
the Internet Movie Database (IMDb). 
I narrowed it down to 15 (Top 10 and 5 Honorable Mentions).
These films are either films that entertained me the most, that touched
me in either appropriate or inappropriate ways, and either surprised me or inspired me.

My personal Top 10 Favorite Films of 2013:

 1. Big Bad Wolves
 2. The Wolf of Wall Street
 3. Why Don't You Play In Hell?
 4. Pacific Rim
 5. The Dirties
 6. The Conjuring
 7. Monsters University
 8. R100
 9. The Way Way Back
10. The Last Stand

Honorable Mentions: Gravity, The Kings of Summer, Side Effects, Mood Indigo, and Trance.

This year I had Samurai Monday, Vampire Thursday, Cult Classic Friday, and Oscar Sunday as
monthly specials.
Here's my most favorite to least favorite for each category:

Samurai Monday
 1. Zatoichi
 2. Swords of Vengeance
 3. Shogun's Samurai
 4. When The Last Sword is Drawn
 5. Harakiri
 6. Samurai I
 7. Samurai II
 8. Hanzo the Razor
 9. Samurai III
10. Shogun's Shadow
11. Hana: The Tale of a Reluctant Samurai
12. The Twilight Samurai

Vampire Thursday
 1. Blacula
 2. Near Dark
 3. Fright Night
 4. Innocent Blood
 5. Blade Trinity
 6. Byzantium
 7. Dracula (original)
 8. Kiss of the Damned
 9. Day Watch
10. The Hunger
11. Fearless Vampire Killers
12. Vampyr

Cult Classic Friday
 1. Harold and Maude
 2. Eating Raoul
 3. Flash Gordon
 4. Pink Flamingos
 5. This is Spinal Tap
 6. The Room
 7. Mommie Dearest
 8. The Warriors
 9. Naked Lunch
10. Crumb
11. Plan 9 From Outer Space
12. The Man Who Fell to Earth

Oscar Sunday
 1. In the Heat of the Night
 2. Kramer Vs. Kramer
 3. My Fair Lady
 4. The Sting
 5. Rain Man
 6. Rebecca
 7. The French Connection
 8. Hamlet
 9. The Greatest Show on Earth
10. It Happened In One Night
11. Grand Hotel
12. Amadeus