Wednesday, January 1, 2014

****2014 Movie Specials****

Here are the monthly movie specials for this year:

The 1st Monday of every month will be Zatoichi Night.
Last year for Samurai Monday I fell in love with a little movie called The Tale of Zatoichi. They also released the complete Zatoichi movie collection on Criterion this last year, which I bought on sale. 
So now that I have the box sitting there, I'm going to make myself watch one of the Zatoichi movies each month.

The 2nd Wednesday of every month will be Western Wednesday.
I didn't grow up watching westerns.  I became interested in them later in life. I've seen mostly spaghetti westerns. Now, I have the chance to see one Western each month and catch up on some classics.

The 3rd Thursday of every month will be French Cinema Night.
It sounds boring, I know.  Two years ago, I explored South American Cinema.
This year I want to explore a specific country.  There are lots of French films I haven't seen like films by Jean-Luc Godard. Plus, my girlfriend knows some French and is planning on taking more French classes this year. So, that's that.

The 4th Friday of every month will be Robot Friday.
I wanted to do this night last year but I couldn't fit it in.  This is my rule for Robot Friday:
Either the protagonist is a robot or part machine or the plot has a lot to do with
robots. I will be watching 12 of these suckers. 

There will be no mandatory New Release Tuesday this year.
I'll still be seeing new releases almost every Tuesday but this time with no obligation or pressure.