Thursday, January 16, 2014

French Cinema Night: Band of Outsiders (Bande a Part)

We start our first French Cinema Night with this Jeun-Luc Godard classic.  I've never seen any of his films but he's supposed to be a big deal among film school classes and film snobs.  I will probably be watching a few of his films this year.  I start with this one because it is considered Quentin Tarantino's favorite Godard film and Tarantino is my favorite director.  This movie was quirky and cool at times and other times were boring and didn't make sense to me.   I love the concept, though.  It is about two thieves who team up with this girl to steal money.  Both thieves like the girl but the girl favors one of them.  Instead of focusing on the action and the robbery, we focus on these characters and how they interact with one another and what they do in the meantime.  There's like a 5 minute dancing scene here that has nothing to do with the plot but just hanging out with the characters.  That scene is so famous.  I think it's my favorite scene.  I love that we're just hanging out with these characters but didn't connect too much with them or the story.  So there was times I felt uninterested.  I like the absurdity of the film but at the same time, I felt nothing special.
I guess I was wanting a lot more out of this because of its fame in the film history world but I just felt that this was just simply okay.  Okay for the quirkiness that I like in movies.

My girlfriend, who has been to France and knows a little bit of French, has decided to make a French dish for every French Cinema Night this year.  That's a lot of French in one sentence.
Anyways, she's going to try to make a recipe each time from her Julia Child's cookbook.
French Dish served this night was: 
Shrimp Quiche (Quiche Aux Fruits De Mer)