Thursday, January 9, 2014

The Grandmaster

Wong Kar Wai, the art house director who did Chungking Express, Ashes of Time, and lots of other poetic Hong Kong movies, delivers the Ip Man story Wong Kar Wai style.  In other words, this movie is mostly about poetic feelings from some of the characters rather than the actual Ip Man character.   We see Ip Man kicking ass in the beginning.  They talk about his life for a bit then the focus turns to a character named Master Gong and his daughter.  Master Gong gets killed by one of his followers, and his daughter (Wong Er) goes out for vengeance.   Like most of Wong Kar Wai films, this is beautifully shot. The fight sequences were amazing. Majority of the time, the feeling of the movie was moody and dramatic. After almost a whole hour about Wong Er, they finally go back to Ip Man. By that point, I felt disconnected from the character.   So, my friends,  I didn't like the story.  I saw the Hong Kong version to this film which I heard it's the better version.
This should of been called Wong Er or something else.  Overall, I liked the few fight sequences and some of the great shot but not a movie for me.