Sunday, January 26, 2014

12 Years A Slave

Man, I want to see Django Unchained again after seeing this one.  Might make an interesting double feature.  This movie delivered as expected: a big Oscar movie about slavery.  You seen one and you've seen them all.  So, this ain't going to make points for originality.  This should make points for a few good performances and a good flow.  This one is about a free man who gets fooled by these so called circus performers and he ends up taken by slave traders.  Right from there begins the torment.  He gets sold to one slave owner to the next.  He ends up at the hands of Edwin Epps (played by Michael Fassbender).  Epps is a ruthless hardcore slave owner.  Here our main guy (Solomon) meets Patsey, a young female slave who is awesome at picking cotton.  She goes through a lot stuff with Epps.  There's this strong powerful scene where she gets whipped and she gets whipped bad.  They actually show her skin coming off.  Anyways, Solomon tries to survive all of this and tries to figure out a way to get out of here.  The ending was emotional.  With that, I say this one is a pretty damn good drama.  My guess is that this is going to win the Oscar for best movie.  I prefer The Wolf of Wall Street a whole lot more, but, my vote doesn't count.
I recommend this one if you're in the mood for an intense drama. 
(It's hard to give movies a rating.  I learned that I just can't give them a number.  There's different shades to that.  Different levels that go up and down everyday.  The way I feel about a movie today might not be the same way I feel about it tomorrow.  So from here on out, I won't be giving out ratings.  I'll just comment on how I initially feel about a movie.