Monday, January 20, 2014

A.C.O.D.

A.C.O.D IMDb
This is an alright "dramedy."  There, no need for other comments on this.  Worth the Redbox rental.  I guess I can comment on the subject: Adult Children of Divorce.  My parents separated when I was 10 years old.  Nothing extreme as the parents in this story (of course this story story is an exaggerated comedy).  My parents fought for a while but after a few years, they made their peace.  This movie is about an adult guy whose divorced parents still hate each other even after 9 years.  This adult guy is Carter (played by Adam Scott).  Carter's little brother is getting married so no Carter has the difficult task in getting his parents to attend without fighting.  I'm a big fan of Richard Jenkins (who plays the dad).  The chaos begins when both parents refuse to attend the wedding if the other is present. So Carter seeks help by his former "therapist."  Carter starts finding things out and then the plot thickens when he catches his parents having sex.  A great make up sex, that is.  In a way, this can be view as a coming of age comedy.  Carter has to go through his childhood emotions and overcome to make things right.  There weren't any laugh out loud scenes just a few chuckles here and there.  The trailer to this shows all the funny parts but the movie is a mix of drama and comedy. As an Adult Child of Divorce, I can connect with some of this but not most of it.  My son also has to deal with two households.  Luckily, his mom and I are both supportive of each other when it comes to his upbringing and we're getting along really well (it was a rough start but with a happy ending).
Overall, this was okay as a dramedy.  I had no expectations whatsoever.
It didn't suck.