Tuesday, January 14, 2014

The Spectacular Now

Lots of great coming of age movies came out last year.  Two of them made it in my top list of favorite movies.  The Spectacular Now is another decent coming of age movie from last year.  Not as great as other ones I've seen but still has its moments.  Our main character is a high school senior named Sutter.  He gets dumped by his girlfriend and decides to have a little fun as usual.  He is an alcoholic.  He befriends a shy girl named Aimee.  They get closer and closer.  He brings her down to his level.  After meeting his alcoholic father for the first time since he was a kid, he starts realizing things out.  Sutter is a guy who lives in the moment.  Has no defined future or goals.  Like most coming of age movies, he matures a bit and sees the light so to speak.  For a couple of teenage kids, they sure drink a lot in this movie.  There are two scenes where we see Sutter drinking at a bar.  That's not realistic.  I didn't mind as much though.  The only thing I didn't like was the pedestrian accident which I won't spoil for you.  The only thing to say about that is that in reality, things would be drastically different.  Other than that, I liked the story.  Cute moments.  
Overall, it was okay.  Glad to have seen it. 
Good to see once if you're into coming of age movies.
I highly recommend: The Way Way Back and The Kings of Summer.