Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Her

Decided to do a date night with my girlfriend and watch this romantic sci-fi.  This movie was cute, sad, and different. Lots of emotions.  This is a movie about how to deal with emotions.  Some of them hit home for me.  I like the concept of this movie.  It takes place in the future but everything is simple.  Everyone has their own portable internet device that they can command using their voice.  Our main character, Theodore (Joaquin Phoenix), is a lonely writer who is going through a divorce.  He buys this OS (Operating System) to assist him with his personal needs. The voice of the OS is named Samantha.  He connects and falls in love with her little by little.  They go through what normal couples go through in relationships.  There are ups and downs.  Emotions everywhere.  Things thicken when his OS starts evolving and connects with other people and other OS's.  While I did like the story and the performances, I thought the mood was a little bit of a downer and bland.  Kudos for certain moments that made me giggle and certain moments that made me cry a bit.  Divorce is never easy, especially if you're divorcing someone you grew up with.  The scene where Theodore meets his soon to be ex wife for lunch to sign the divorce papers was emotional. 
The story was good and different but overall, this didn't feel special or something I would see again.  I guess I'm not a Spike Jonze fan.  This is the fourth film I've seen from him and the fourth to say that it was just okay. He directed: Being John Malkovich, Adaptation, and Where The Wild Things Are.