Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Western Wednesday: The Searchers

Kicking off Western Wednesday with a John Wayne classic.  I believe this is my second John Wayne movie to ever see. My first John Ford movie too.  I didn't grow up with Westerns. I avoided them as a kid. My parents would watch soap operas or action Mexican movies.   Later in life, I saw a few and I became particularly interested in spaghetti westerns (thanks to Quentin Tarantino). I saw over 40 spaghetti westerns.  Now it's time to catch up with some American westerns.   Right away this starts out very differently than the typical Italian ones.  Instead of a big shootout or a bad guy scene, this starts with John Wayne visiting his family and they have dinner.  John Wayne plays a not likeable character.  He treats his family and friends like crap. He is also a big racist. Hates Indians to death.  So much that if his family becomes an Indian, he would be eager to shoot them.  This is a story about The Searchers (John Wayne and his mixed Indian nephew) searching for two girls that were abducted by an Indian tribe.  I didn't really care for John Wayne's character.  I also don't like how they portray the Indians here.  Usually in spaghetti westerns, Indians always keep to themselves and are not considered savages.
Overall, this had some okay scenes. It entertained with its drama. I know many love it but I didn't like the story.  The best part was the last shot (John Wayne walks out and the door closes behind him going to black).