Friday, January 24, 2014

Robot Friday: Blade Runner (The Final Cut Version)

Robot Friday begins with this Scifi classic.  I've seen most of the director's cut version of this back in the day but honestly, I don't remember much about it.  This Final Cut version is supposed to be the official approved director's cut. A lot of people talk about this movie.  It has a big cult following.  I enjoyed the story.  I enjoyed the world it created.  I'm not going to lie, I don't think this lives up to all the hype people talk about.  Maybe during its time, I would of been blown away.  Having said that, I did like the movie a lot.  Blade Runner is about Deckard, an ex cop who gets rehired to do what he does best: chase and capture replicants (robots disguised as humans).  He meets this nice looking serious girl who happens to be a replicant.  He falls in love with her while he's trying to track the four replicants on his list.  The main replicant is an evil son of a bitch who kills his creator.  The main female replicant is played by Daryl Hanah.  One by one, these replicants get killed.  Straight up story, except for one thing, Deckard might be a replicant himself.  The movie doesn't answer that but they give out little hints left for interpretation.  I don't think he is because if he is, then why didn't Tyrell (the creator of replicants) said anything to him?  Unless he was created by someone else.  Thought the final scene with Deckard and the main replicant was bland. 
Straight up decent Scifi flick.  I was expecting a little more but for a movie made in the cheesy 80's this was good.