Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Zatoichi's Pilgrimage

This past weekend, I did something crazy.  I managed to see four Zatoichi movies from my Zatoichi box set.  It was a weekend to remember, alright.  My son was with me but he was playing with the tablet and his toys most of the time.  But, he got to learn who Zatoichi is.  I was surprised that he was interested in a few scenes.  I wish my dad would have introduced to such great cinema.  Lucky kid.  Anyways, this blog isn't about my son (that's what his blog is for).  I saw four Zatoichi movies in the course of three days. This one right here in particular, Zatoichi's Pilgrimage, was very fucking awesome.  It's probably my favorite of the whole series.  I don't know why.  Maybe I was in the mood for it.  But, every moment was incredible.  It starts off with a great intro.  It's a boat scene and a thieve starts trouble and fucking Zatoichi happens to be there and chops his hand off.  Boom!  Opening credits.  There's an underwater kill scene.  There are kills in the dark. Lots to value here.   
I saw this one, I believe Friday morning before work.  My son wasn't there in this one.  But, I love the shit out of it.  And that got me excited to see a few more this past weekend.  Highly recommend this movie.  You don't necessarily have to see the 13 movies before it to enjoy this one.  Just know that Zatoichi is one badass samurai who happens to be blind.  He's the fastest there is.  He roams from village to village and somehow sets things good everytime by killing dozens of bad men.  That's practically every movie.