Friday, January 23, 2015

Whiplash

It was a cold Tuesday night in Austin when I had the clever idea to finally watch this little movie that a lot people have been talking about.  Wow! Motherfucker! This movie was intense.  J.K. Simmons yelling and throwing up a storm throughout the whole thing is what separates this movie from the rest.  A movie that make you appreciate what Jazz bands have to deal with.  I enjoyed it and left the theatre with some anxiety.  It's been on my mind for three days but I didn't get a chance to blog it until today.  It's official now.  Tony has experienced Whiplash and he almost went to the hospital.  This is a hardcore story about a jazz drummer who dreams about becoming something big.  He gets pushed beyond his limit by an intimidating abusive teacher.  A few crazy surprises here.  J.K Simmons deserves all those awards he's been getting for his role as the crazy Jazz teacher.  Oscar is in the bag for him.
Highly recommend this fucking movie.  It's nominated for an Academy Award.
I don't usually connect or like some of the movies that get nominated but this one is in my cool book.
My heart goes out to Boyhood and Birdman, but this is my 3rd pick for that award.
Out of the 8 movies nominated, I've seen 5.  I'm going to try to catch the rest of them before the Oscars.  We'll see.