Thursday, January 15, 2015

The Purple Rose of Cairo

During my vacation in Southern California, I had the pleasure in visiting my favorite director's newly owned theatre: New Beverly Cinema.  This past Saturday night, my sisters from another mister, took me there after eating burgers in Hollywood.  They were showing a double feature of Annie Hall and this one.  We didn't get to make it to Annie Hall.  I'm not a Woody Allen fan but I must admit, I'm beginning to respect his films a little more.  The Purple Rose of Cairo is a romantic/whimsical light hearted comedy.  Characters come out of the movie screen and into the real world.  That's the world Allen created with this one.  The absurdity gets a little funny.  In a way, it's almost a similar feeling to one of Allen's latest movies, Midnight in Paris.  Mia Farrow is great here.  I never heard of this movie until this week.  I think watching it in this small cute theatre made the experience a lot better.  From now on, whenever I visit Los Angeles, I'll stop by and catch some movies here.
Cute little fantasy movie I would recommend.  Gotta catch up on some more Woody Allen movies soon.


Here's the New Beverly Saturday Gang!