Monday, July 1, 2013

Samurai Monday: Swords of Vengeance

Swords of Vengeance IMDb
Long but awesome samurai movie.  This came with the Sonny Chiba Shogun Collection (even thought Sonny Chiba is hardly in these movies).  I saw two other movies from that set and I have to say, this one is probably my personal favorite.  I like the story.  Tragic!  It's hard for me to get into samurai movies.  That's one of the reasons for having Samurai Monday, to make myself watch them.  There's some that I love and others are just okay in my book.  I'm more into Kung Fu and Yakuza films when it comes to Asian cinema.  I like that this one starts off with the conflict.  It slowly develops to a great battle.  Lots of hara-kiri here (honorable suicide by a samurai).  This is directed by Kinji Fukusaku.  He's responsible for many great yakuza (gangster) movies and Battle Royale.  
This movie was served with Fried Rice, bloody Cherry Pie, and hot tea.