Saturday, May 25, 2013

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey IMDb
I loved this movie.  It was very very hard to not compare this to the Lord of The Rings trilogy but I couldn't help it.  It's the prequel with some of the same characters.  I remember Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring blew my mind away.  I didn't want to get into it because I thought it was going to be one of those silly Harry Potter kid movies.  Boy, was I wrong.  This was a whole new level of awesomeness. I liked the rest of the trilogy but not as much as the first one.  Now comes this new Hobbit trilogy.  The battle scenes and story here doesn't compare to the Lord of the Rings.  So, in order for me to give this a fair series of comments, I'm treating it as if I never seen The Lord of the Rings.  This story was pretty enjoyable.  The adventure is about the hobbit helping out the dwarves on their journey to take back their land from a greedy gold loving dragon.  For that simple story, we need to extend this as much as possible.  Let's fight some Orcs, some trolls, and meet new characters like the Brown wizard.  Let's throw in Gollum and the ring in there to remind us of future stuff and there we go, we have ourselves another adventure story.  For what the story is, this was good.  The few battle scenes here were okay.  Now, can't wait to finish this trilogy and watch Lord of the Rings again.  So, I guess I won't be watching LOTR until 2015 or so.