Monday, May 20, 2013

Bye Bye Birdie

Bye Bye Birdie
Believe this or not, I own this musical (because of my girlfriend) and it's been sitting in my "To Watch" shelf for a while.  Now, I finally put it in my Musical section.  While I admit, I am fond of musicals.  It took me a while to appreciate them.  I guess it wasn't until I moved to Austin, TX and I went to see a bad ass screening of "Across The Universe" at the Dobie Theatre (before they closed down) that I finally liked a musical.  From there on out, I been watching musicals left and right.  Some are really awesome, and some are so and so, and most are not for me.  I guess Bye Bye Birdie falls in between so and so and not for me.  I like the first half.  Some of the musical numbers are awesome with their satire.  It felt like they were making fun of musicals in a way.  Most of the scenes here are probably better if you're under the influence of marijuana.  As a matter of fact, that's not a bad idea if you're going to see this movie.  I can already imagine all the moments that would erupt in laughter.  So, overall, not bad, but you must love musicals or be high.