Friday, May 10, 2013

The Great Gatsby (2013)

The Great Gatsby IMDb
This should of been a musical in my opinion.  I read the book in 11th grade and saw the original  Robert Redford a few times.  I am a fan of the story.  As far as the story goes, this movie did justice for it, I think.  I expected this to be more exaggerated and fun but it the second half became too dramatic.  Still, I think it got the message across somewhat.  Leonardo DiCaprio did alright as Gatsby.  Joel Edgerton was awesome as Tom.  Mulligan also did pretty good.  Tobey Maguire plays the same old character as always.  It's like Peter Parker narrating this story.  I think I would of love this a lot if it was exaggerated and musical like.  Other than that, this didn't really add anything special for me.  It just made me remember the original story and how much I liked it.  A poor guy goes out of his way to become rich and powerful all to impress and get a high class girl but money doesn't buy happiness.  Movie about hope.  This version is just about the visuals.  That will be the only reason to see it and of course, if your're a fan of the book.  Others, stay away.