Monday, May 6, 2013

Samurai Monday: The Twilight Samurai

The Twilight Samurai
This samurai movie is mentioned in a lot of lists.  It also won an Oscar for Best Foreign.  Decided to give it a try late tonight. It was mostly boring for me.  There was two samurai battle scenes total. Not that I expected more out of a samurai movie, but the rest of the story wasn't as interesting as I hoped it would be.  It's sweet and awesome that a samurai father would sacrifice a lot of things in order to be with his family more.  I just didn't think all those emotions were captured in this film.   I must admit, I saw this around 11pm.  Bad time to watch a samurai film unless I'm all sugared up.  I did have some hot tea to go with this one but must of been so tired that I dozed off throughout the film.  It's too bad because I might not give this a chance again.  It is followed by two movies as well with different stories.  I won't be able to watch the other two anytime soon.  Maybe another year I have samurai night.