Thursday, August 6, 2015

The Housemaid

My Fantastic Fest 2010 marathon continues with this Korean classic.  That year, Fantastic Fest showed this classic and the remake back to back.  I made it to the remake that year.  Awesome!  I heard this classic was different and better. Thanks to Youtube, I was able to see the classic for the first time (my local video stores didn't have it).  The one I saw on Youtube was poor quality and it had Spanish subtitles.  Lucky for me, I know Spanish.  This was way different than the remake.  Actually, it pissed me off a little.  But, I think that's what it was supposed to do.  You see, in the remake, you feel sorry for the housemaid.  You kind of pick her side even though it's a shitty situation.  Not in this classic.  The housemaid is very unlikeable.  What a bitch!  Then again, these movies were made during different times in society.  I didn't like the ending to this movie but I did love the awesome shots and performances.  The ending here breaks the fourth wall.  Anyways, it was a nice treat watching this with some hot Korean treat.
I appreciate this classic but not a priority to buy for my Korean section.  Kudos to Martin Scorsese for his support for this classic film restoration as well as a lot of other undiscovered classics.  I do feel like seeing the remake again.  I remember the remake having awesome cinematography and a lot of wine.  Anyways, 49 days until Fantastic Fest 2015 and 18 more Fantastic Fest 2010 movies left to see.