Thursday, January 24, 2013

Beasts of the Southern Wild


Beasts of the Southern Wild
This was pretty okay. It was artsy but not too artsy like other artsy films I've seen.  I didn't really connect well with the characters so I didn't care about them that much.  There were some cute moments in the first half but that's it for me.  I like that this was a good effort for a first time director.  Decent performances.  Beautiful shots.  The only reason for seeing this movie actually is because it was nominated for an Oscar.  Every year, I tried to watch most of the nominated films before the Oscars to see if I can root for them or not. This was borderline for me.  I rather see this win more than Lincoln and Les Miserables, for example.  But my heart is set on Django Unchained, Argo, and Silver Linings Playbook.  I plan to see Amour next month. The only two Oscar movies I'm going to miss are: Zero Dark Thirty and Life of Pi.
Back to this movie, well, my favorite part was when the little girl blew up the dam.  The rest was so and so.  You might want to eat alligator with this one.