Thursday, April 21, 2011

Rainy Dog

YAKUZA NIGHT THURSDAY

Every third Thursday of every month of this year,
I'll be watching a yakuza flick.
Love the yakuza genre but haven't really seen a whole lot.
There's a lot of classics out there.
This will help me explore these Japanese movies.
I'll be watching a few from directors,
Kinji Fukasaku, and Takashi Miike, as well other
yakuza flicks from the 60's and to the present.



Rainy Dog
Straight and non-bizarre Yakuza flick
from Takashi Miike.
I write "non-bizarre" because those familiar
with his films, you know that Miike loves to do
over the top crazy movies.
This is one of Takashi Miike earliest films.
It was mostly a drama.
Almost half of it focused on this yakuza hitman guy and his relationship
with his son. A few killings here and there.
Sometimes didn't feel like a yakuza movie
but then it picks up.
I personally wasn't blown away like I was with
other yakuza movies.
The ending was alright.

My opinion is, if you're considering in watching this one,
see Miike's Graveyard of Honor remake instead.
A lot more rewarding. Rainy Dog was so and so.