Tuesday, April 16, 2013

New Release Tuesday: Dragon (aka Wu Xia)

Dragon IMDb
I never heard of this movie until I saw the trailer to this a few weeks ago. It was shown at Cannes (I think) and it did good.  It has Donnie Yen (IP Man) which also did the choreography.  One thing to make clear is that when I went Vulcan to get this movie, the guy that went inside a minute before me, got the only copy of this movie.  Luckily, the guy that works there pointed out that the one that was released today is the U.S. cut but that they also have the Chinese cut at the store.  So I decided to watch the international cut which is 16 minutes longer.  I expected some good action.  Well, I was a bit disappointed.  The three or four fight scenes here are really awesome.  I wanted more, though.  Good concept.  It was character driven and our main character is a detective that was a bit annoying.  This is basically the Chinese martial arts version of "A History of Violence."  There's a lot of similarities.  I wonder what they cut out for the U.S release?