Friday, March 1, 2013

The Butcher, The Chef, and The Swordsman

The Butcher, The Chef, and The Swordsman IMDb
This Chinese movie was trippy.  A lot more comedy than action. At first it reminded me a bit about the cartooney style of Kung Fu Hustle. Then it reminded me a lot about another great Stephen Chow film, The God of Cookery.  I like that they divided the movie into three different parts. Each part deals with one of the three main characters.  My favorite part was the story about "The Chef." I didn't mind "The Swordsman" story either.  The story about "The Butcher" was a little bit more over the top and weird for me.  I didn't think it fit well with the others.  All stories deal about this mysterious blade.  Loved it.  Some of the characters reminded me of some of the characters from Star Wars (like Jabba the Hutt and Yoda).  Overall, I thought this was pretty fun.  Expect silliness and exaggerated cooking and fighting, and you'll enjoy this movie too.