Tuesday, April 28, 2015

The Big Sleep

I pulled a double feature tonight.  Didn't think I was going to make it but with the help of coffee earlier in the evening, I made it through.  P.T Anderson's Inherent Vice came out today on Blu-ray and I decided to buy it for my director collection and because I love the hell out of that movie.  With a little bit of research, I found that The Big Sleep had somewhat of an influence.  So there's my double feature.  The Big Sleep was pretty good.  A good old classic with Humphrey Bogart.  Here's looking at you, kid.  Here, he plays a sharp private investigator, always smooth.  Seriously, ladies throw their arms to him almost in every moment.  Note to self: must make a career change into the private eye business.  The story was basic but for its time, pretty damn good.  A little long. A little confusing at first.  Wait, I'm still confused.  Who killed who? It doesn't matter.  I love private eye movies.
Good classic to see but not a priority.  It went good with Inherent Vice afterwards.  Inherent Vice is a trippy paranoia film, though.  I think the perfect  triple feature would be: The Long Goodbye, The Big Lebowski, and Inherent Vice.  You can also mix A Scanner Darkly and Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas in there.

This is my second Howard Hawks film to see.  Last year, I saw Rio Bravo for Western Wednesday.