Thursday, April 16, 2015

The Long Goodbye

Wowsers!  Good private eye/mystery film we have here.  Saw it last night after work.  You see, earlier in the year, I saw a film called Inherent Vice.  I plan to buy that sucker in a few weeks not only to complete my P.T Anderson collection, but because, it's one badass film.  One of the influences for Inherent Vice happens to be this movie right here.  I can tell why.  They both have the same style.  Hell, this one reminded me a lot of The Big Lebowski as well (great triple feature right here).  Unlike Inherent Vice and The Big Lebowski, our main character here is not stoned the whole time or at all.  He's simply a laid back character in L.A. smoking cigarettes non-stop.  The story is a simple one but what makes this movie are the moments.  That's the way I felt with Inherent Vice.  I love the moments.  Maybe I need to start a private eye section.  
Good recommendation if you're in the mood for a mystery movie from the 70's.  Glad I saw it.  I'll probably see another big Inherent Vice influence before the release date.  We shall see.  The Long Goodbye is directed by Robert Altman.  I've only seen one other film from this famous great filmmaker, and that film is none other than Popeye.