Thursday, April 16, 2015

Samaritan Zatoichi

You know, the more Zatoichi films I see, the more attached I am to the character.  That's a no brainer.  Seriously, I enjoyed the hell out of this movie.  To be honest, I been enjoying these Zatoichi films more when I watch them at the last minute rather than scheduled (like last year's Zatoichi Mondays).  In this one, we have an awesome villain who happens to be as fast as Zatoichi. I was worried for a second there during their battle at the end.  Like all Zatoichi films, this one has a little bit of humor as well.  Zatoichi is a blind samurai yet he's able to do lots of things others aren't capable of doing.  So I enjoyed it.  There's one scene here where we see his weakness, which is rare.  Zatoichi cheats on a dice game and gets caught.  Just wanted to mention that because he usually cheats to teach the actual cheaters a lesson.  This time, he was cheating for his own personal gain.  Not cool, Zatoichi.  Not cool. 
This is beautfiful film to see.  The colors on the blu-ray were fucking awesome.  That usually doesn't happen when I see older films on blu-ray.  Most times, I can't tell the difference.  Then again, I don't have a tv that gives me the "home video" look to the movies.  Thank goodness for that.  6 more Zatoichi movies to go to finally finish with the Criterion box set.  I think I'm going to do an awesome sake feast for the last one.
Made stir fry this day in honor of this Zatoichi film.