Thursday, August 14, 2014

Yatterman

Back in 2009, during my first Fantastic Fest, this was on my priority list but I only had a half day badge that year, so I didn't get to see a lot.  5 years later, and here we are.  This is an over the top action Japanese film by Takashi Miike.  Based on a Japanese comic.  This is actually kid friendly. Lots of fighting and adult situations but there's nothing graphic or gory like other Japanese over the top movies.  In other words, this isn't a splatterfest.  Still, I enjoyed some of it.  Some scenes were ridiculous but fun.  Love the music here.  Our main characters are superheroes protecting the world using their high tech gadgets.  The main villains also use high tech weapons.  There are several battles with giant robots.  But, I don't consider this a robot movie even though we see robots in more than half of the film.  So, I'm not cheating on Robot Friday.  The main characters have to be robots or the main plot has to revolve around robots.  Here, robots are used to help the characters with their tasks.  The main plot is about this evil ghostly alien who is trying to get more powerful by finding parts of this magic skull.   Yatterman and his team are there to beat him to it.
   
It was fun to see but nothing special or that I would recommend.   Gotta have an acquired taste for these types of movies and lose your sense of reality.  On another note, almost one more month until Fantastic Fest 2014. My favorite time of the year.