Thursday, August 21, 2014

French Cinema Night: La Haine

This French film was so awesome. I actually didn't think I was going to enjoy it as much as I did.  I thought it was going to be too artsy but it really wasn't.  It was a good balance.  First and foremost,
a lot of the shots here were fucking spectacular.  Genious!  The story deals with social issues in France especially in the ghettos.  We follow three friends throughout the whole movie and it takes place in a day in the life of these people.  Lots of police brutality, lots of people retaliating, wait, that sounds so familiar. Could it be all the peaceful stuff happening in Ferguson, Missouri?  Maybe. 
This movie reminded me of the movies "Kids" and Martin Scorsese's "Mean Streets."
And speaking of Scorsese, there was a moment here where they paid tribute
to Taxi Driver (You looking at me? Scene).  Vincent Cassel is one of the main characters and
he was so badass.  Lots of good things to say about this movie. Good moments like a DJ opening up his window in the middle of the day and jamming to the "Fuck the Police" song that was used in Attack The Block.  That's it, this would make a great double feature with Attack the Block.
I'm buying this movie.  I can't wait to see it again. 
Highly Recommended!