Friday, October 10, 2014

Wake in Fright

 This is a crazy Australian classic.  It was shown at Fantastic Fest in 2012.  It is a film from 1971.  The original negative film print was lost for decades and was found not so long ago.  I thought it was a decent trip into madness.  I actually didn't know what to expect.  It is a slow driven psychotic movie.  It's about this teacher who is on a holiday vacation.  He goes to this small Australian town.  He plans to stay there just for one night but that one night turns into days.  Non-stop drinking with the locals all day and all night.  So all we see is drunken bastards doing crazy shit.  This movie made me not want to drink but I was drinking anyways.  The kangaroo hunting scene was fucking crazy.  During the ending credits, they mentioned that the kangaroos were real but were hunted by actual kangaroo hunters.  Donald Pleasence plays one of the drunken bastards.
If you're in the mood to watch a movie about a guy that goes crazy during his alcohol consuming spree, then look no further than this.

Had me some Foster's with this.  I immediately regretted this decision, but fuck it, we only live once.