Thursday, October 30, 2014

Room 237

I been wanting to do this documentary paired as a double feature with The Shining for a long time.  Well, since Fantastic Fest 2012.  Today, the opportunity came.  Woke up this Halloween's Eve morning with hot tea (it's been a while since I had hot tea) and experienced this mystery.  I heard a lot of bad shit about Room 237 and I can see why.  Most of the things presented here are just pure coincidences, I think. Some people take them very seriously.  I, personally, feel that some of the stuff are just interpretations.  I don't think Kubrick had a lot of secrets up his sleeve.  There are some stuff on here that I do find interesting and I do believe Kubrick was saying something.  But, majority of it are just b.s.  We're all humans and we make mistakes.  Some stuff on here are movie mistakes like certain continuity errors.  The people narrating this, which we never see who they are, are just fanatics over analyzing things.  That's just my opinion.  Now this was okay if you're a fan of the movie.  I enjoyed some of what these people tried to explain.   It is entertaining.  The Shining experience with forwards and backwards part was interesting.  I believe Kubrick didn't do that intentionally.  It is the same notion as playing Pink Floyd's Dark Side of The Moon with The Wizard of Oz.  There's a cut out there, and it played at Fantastic Fest in 2012, where the movie screens forward normally with a cross dissolve the whole way playing backwards. It shows how most scenes reveal lots of mysteries.  I would love to see that version one day.  
I would only recommend this to fans of the movie just for entertainment purposes.  Nothing to take seriously.  Not a documentary to buy.

Watching The Shining again after this documentary was awesome.  Fucking Classic!