Saturday, October 25, 2014

Birdman (2014)

I Am Birdman!  No, that's not a quote from this movie but it's something I been saying out loud since watching this trippy insane drama.  This was one of my most anticipated movies this year and I'm proud to have seen it at the Alamo Drafthouse. It has a similar vibe and tone as the movie, "Black Swan."  Instead of Natalie Portman and her psychological issues, it's Michael fucking Keaton and his crazy psychological issues.  Keaton delivers an awesome performance.  I think everybody else did as well.  It's a serious movie dealing with serious issues but with a touch of comedy in there as well.  I love the way they shot this.  It was shot as if it were all done in one long continuous take.  Almost like a play itself.  Awesome experience all the way through.  Now, the ending was a trip and it's one of those that are left for interpretation.  This is directed by Alejandro Gonzalez Iñarritu (director of Amores Perros, 21 Grams).  Keaton plays a washed up actor trying to make a comeback by writing, directing and starring in a play in Broadway.  He's known only for a superhero character he played 20 years ago:  Birdman!  He has to fight his personal demons throughout the whole thing.  Fucking great.
Worth watching and worth buying.  Now knowing what happens, I can't wait to watch this movie again for another trippy awesome experience.