Wednesday, February 20, 2013

New Release Tuesday: Hipsters

Hipsters IMDb
I was having a hard time deciding what to watch today for New Release Tuesday.  I already saw Argo.  I didn't want to see Anna Karanenina. or however you spell it.  Then I saw the trailer to this Russian musical.  Not bad. So I had me a Russian night.  This takes place in the 1950's.  It was a cool Foreign film.  Good music.  Funny moments. The kids weren't annoying.  I enjoyed it.  Nice colors.  It gets a bit political and I didn't mind that either.  It's not everyday I see a Foreign musical (especially not from Russia).  This was a nice treat.  My favorite song is an evil song sung by a girl who can be Hitler's niece and a whole class of uniformed students.  It was evil and brilliant.  I would of wanted something bad to happen to that girl in the end but it wasn't about that.  It was about belonging in a group.  About being able to be cool and hip and being rebellious.  I think we might add this to the Musical section.
I searched online for a traditional Russian recipe to make for this movie and found an easy one.  I made Sauteed mushrooms and potatoes.  Served with a Baltika Golden Lager.