Sunday, May 1, 2011

Dead Or Alive 2 / Dead Or Alive: Final


Dead Or Alive 2
This was a little fun especially in the first half.
I'm a fan of the first Dead Or Alive movie.
It was over the top insanity.
I ended up buying the box set of this trilogy
early in the year. Saw it for dirt cheap at a local store
and I knew that this rare box set cost five times
more than what I bought it for.
I was saving these movies for my yakuza nights
but decided to not include them as yakuza movies
because they're not straight up yakuza movies.
Part 2 wasn't over the top.
It had some good moments.
There's a nice POV shot of a guy getting shot at.
It was missing some of the magic from the first one.
If you seen the first one, obviously this is not a direct sequel.
Why? Because the whole world blows up in the first one.
I found this one somewhat entertaining.

Couldn't find the actual trailer but here's a scene:




Dead Or Alive: Final
Part three had a weird feeling.
The whole thing had this yellow filter
that just made this one little out there.
It takes place deep into the future
where there's androids and stuff.
Not over the top violence but it has
some over the top scenes where
our main guy is able to stop bullets
with his hand and etc.
A little enjoyable but can be boring at times.
Keep in mind,
I was watching this one at 2am.
So some scenes seemed to drag on a bit for me.
But, man, another messed up Miike ending.
That ending makes this one alright.

This is probably my least favorite of the trilogy.
But still had some good cinematic moments.
Verdict: The first part of this trilogy is the best
one. Crazy stuff starting from frame one.
The two movies that follow have nothing comparing to the
first one. So no reason to see them or buy them unless you're
a Takashi Miike fan like me. Love this box set.