Thursday, February 17, 2011

The Yakuza Papers Vol. 1: Battles Without Honor and Humanity

YAKUZA NIGHT THURSDAY

Every third Thursday of every month of this year,
I'll be watching a yakuza flick.
Love the yakuza genre but haven't really seen a whole lot.
There's a lot of classics out there.
This will help me explore these Japanese movies.
I'll be watching a few from directors,
Kinji Fukasaku, and Takashi Miike, as well other
yakuza flicks from the 60's and to the present.

Tonight is another movie from Kinji Fukasaku:


The Yakuza Papers Vol. 1: Battles Without Honor and Humanity
Man, oh man, this is probably the
best yakuza flick I've ever seen.
With my yakuza research, this title kept coming
up on top yakuza films.
In fact, Kinji Fukasaku is known as the
master of yakuza films.
What Sergio Leone did to Spaghetti Westerns,
is what Kinji Fukasaku did to the yakuza genre.
There's five parts to this big story.
After seeing part one, I'm hooked.
This is packed with yakuza traditions and violence.
Love everything about it, never a dull moment.
There's lots of shootout scenes.
Lots of kills.
Love that the ending gave us somewhat of
a little tease of things to come.

Next month, we'll look at part two of this series.
For now, I toast with an imaginary bottle of sake
to this great night.

This is the only trailer I can find.
It has German subtitles or something.