Monday, December 6, 2010

Inning by Inning: A Portrait of a Coach

DOCUMENTARY NIGHT
&
CATCHING UP WITH A DIRECTOR

December's Director: Richard Linklater

#2:

Inning by Inning: A Portrait of A Coach
Killed two birds with one stone.
This is my last Documentary Night
and it so happens that this month's
director has a documentary that I haven't seen.
Well, here it is.
This documentary is about the University of Texas
baseball coach, Augie Garrido.
I'm not a baseball fan.
I know that Linklater is a baseball fan.
There's a baseball scene in Dazed and Confused.
He directed the Bad News Bears remake.
And now, here's this baseball doc.
In general, this was okay.
It was somewhat inspirational.
Basically, this coach is the ultimate badass
coach ever. And there's moments that show it.
Did this make me a fan of the guy and the game?
No.
But, decent doc.
I'll probably never see it again.
Favorite part: Coach Garrido yells at his players
in the locker room. Very harsh. The team won the next
10 or 11 games (don't remember) after that.


Couldn't find a trailer to this doc but here's one scene I found:



That's it for Documentary Night. This was the last one.
Musical Monday will replace this next year.
That don't mean I'm going to stop watching docs.
I'll watch them whenever I want.
I just won't have a specific night dedicated to it.
Here's all the documentaries I saw this year
(from most favorite to least favorite):

The Cove
When You're Strange
Religulous
Burma VJ: Reporting from A Closed Country
How Bruce Lee Changed The World
Taxi to the Dark Side
Capitalism: A Love Story
The Union: The Business Behind Getting High
Crude
Inning by Inning: A Portrait of a Coach
The Thorn in the Heart
They Killed Sister Dorothy