Saturday, January 30, 2010

Mimic

Catching Up With A Director Segment
[Each month of this year I will pick a director and see
five movies that I've never seen before
from that director.
I will watch them throughout the month.]

This month's director is Guillermo Del Toro.
I saw the Hellboy movies, Cronos, and Blade 2 this month already.
The only other films I've seen before
from Del Toro are Pan's Labyrinth and Devil's Backbone.
Now it's time to see the 5th Del Toro film.
I saved his most underrated film for last.


Mimic
When this movie came out back in the day,
I didn't know who Guillermo Del Toro was.
I wasn't interested in watching this at all.
Fast forward to the present, this sucker was okay.
In other words, it didn't suck like I thought it was going
to suck. Yeah, it's my least favorite Del Toro film,
but not necessarily a bad film.
There were some good suspenseful moments.
Then there were moments that could of been suspenseful,
but didn't deliver.
Wish they could of done more with the little boy who
was kind of autistic. Don't know why they put him
in there, if there was no real importance.
The bugs were kinda cool.
They don't care if they eat children or not.

What made this an alright movie was that
I went in with low expectations and being a respectable
fan of Guillermo Del Toro.
I've seen all his films now. I'm more of a fan
than I was before because of watching all his films.
Here's my top favorite Del Toro films to least favorite:
1. Devil's Backbone
2. Pan's Labyrinth
3. Hellboy 2
4. Cronos
5. Hellboy
6. Blade II
7. Mimic

For those of you that are not fans of his work, but are curious,
start watching his films from the top of the list to the bottom.
Maybe, you'll become a fan too.

Here's the trailer to Mimic.