Monday, January 18, 2010

Hellboy

"Catching Up With A Director" Segment
[Each month of this year I will pick a director and see
five movies that I've never seen before
from that director.
I will watch them throughout the month.]

This month I will catch up with Director Guillermo Del Toro.
I've seen The Devil's Backbone and Pan's Labyrinth.
Both great movies. But he has 5 other feature films
I haven't seen. So let's start with his comic film, Hellboy.


Hellboy
Good but not great.
Special effects and costume is Del Toro's specialty.
He proves it well with this movie.
I wasn't interested in watching this movie in a long time.
There was something about it that didn't attract me.
I'm glad I finally checked it out tonight.
The story is a little complicated. It doesn't flow good.
But, it was a good time.
It's a big popcorn blockbuster movie that I would rather
see five times more than Transformers.
My favorite parts are in the second act where we
have more of the character driven parts.
Also on another note,
Hellboy and this other dude were smoking a lot of
cigars, it made me want to spark one while watching.
This Catching up with a Director segment was a good idea.
I can't wait to see Del Toro's other films to get a
grasp of what he does and hopefully I can
make a top list from my most favorite to least favorite
Del Toro flick.

Worth the rent for any comic fan.