Saturday, February 28, 2015

Ida

I couldn't go to sleep late Friday night/early Saturday morning due to lots of coffee.  Decided to watch this Polish movie.  It won Best Foreign at this year's Oscars.  I'm a sucker for Foreign movies.  So I had to.  I just had to.  Well, this one was okay.  I don't think it deserved the Oscar.  I liked it more than the previous movie I saw today (A Coffee in Berlin).  This is another coming of age drama in a way.  Ida is about to become a nun but before she does so, the church advises her to spend time with her long lost Aunt for a bit.  Ida meets her aunt who is the opposite (an atheist free spirited lady).  Ida learns that she's Jewish and her parents were killed during World War 2.  Ida and her aunt go on a trip to learn more about that and of course during that trip, Ida learns a few more things about the world.  The story was good but nothing special in my book.  Some unexpected stuff happens towards the end. 
This is another one that's at your own risk.  If you're like me, and love Foreign films, see this one but with low expectations.  I set the bar high because it won the Oscar.