Tuesday, October 22, 2013

New Release Tuesday: Before Midnight (2013)

Before Midnight IMDb
I saw Before Sunrise and Before Sunset a few years back when I did my Catching Up With A Director Segment for Richard Linklater.  I was not impressed with those movies but I heard so many good things about this one so I decided to watch this tonight.  I liked it more than I expected.  It felt more real and I felt more connected to the characters this time around. Maybe because these characters have evolved a lot since the first two movies.  Love the long takes in this one.  There's a scene where they walk and talk for like 10 plus minutes and the camera doesn't cut.  Another long scene during an intense argument.  Kudos to the main actors and Linklater.  I never could relate to the characters and their situation before until tonight.  It made me want to go back and revisit the other ones.  Who would've thought Julie Delpy's character can turn from a sweet little French girl in the first one to a hardcore feminist feisty wife in this last movie?  I would maybe buy it if I start a Richard Linklater section.