Wednesday, May 9, 2012

South American Cinema Night: Huelepega: Ley De La Calle

SOUTH AMERICAN CINEMA NIGHT

Every 2nd Wednesday of every month
I'll be checking out a movie from any country in South America.
My goal is to see one movie from each country.
This excludes any films I see at film festivals.

Tonight's movie is from Venezuela.


Huelepega: Ley De La Calle
Thought this was going to be bad but
it actually wasn't.
There's hardly any Venezuelan films out there.
I needed to see one in order to fulfill my "seeing a movie
from each South American country" goal.
This was my only option at my local video store
(kudos to Vulcan Video).
These kids are hardcore.
They steal, they sniff glue, and apparently they are good poets.
My favorite character was Mocho.
He was great playing a mentally challenged gangster.
Had the best moments.
Original.
The only downer to this drama/gangster movie is the music.
The music made me feel like I was watching
a soap opera.

I couldn't find a trailer to this but this is worth checking out.
I liked it.
Next month for South American Cinema Night,
we'll have a movie from Colombia.