Monday, May 21, 2012

Brothers (Denmark) / Brothers (U.S)


Brothers
Okay call me crazy, I think most of you already think so anyway,
but I saw two movies today. The original and the U.S remake
of "Brothers."
I had the original scheduled for today, but in the middle
of watching it, decided to watch the remake after.
The original is from Denmark.
I liked it. It was powerful.
I knew what the story is about.
I thought it was going to be more about the drama
between the brothers. Instead, it was the traumatic
experience of the brother who went to war
and the crazy thing he did to come back.
Yes, there's some drama between them.
Serious movie with some funny moments.
Great acting by all of them.
I took them all seriously.

I found this on sale so I bought it for my Foreign section.
I'm a sucker for Foreign films so I pretty much buy almost
any Foreign film that is good. Maybe I'll travel the world one day.
Next up, the U.S. remake of this movie.



Brothers
You probably already know how I feel about remakes made
almost around the same time as the original.
This remake was made five years later.
It stars Spiderman and Donnie Darko.
I couldn't take both of them seriously.
There was hardly any changes between the two movies.
Just some minor details.
This one felt like they were all trying to
be a little more dramatic.
The war stuff was different.
It wasn't as powerful as the original.
But kudos for trying.

It was interesting to see this movie after the original.
It was practically seeing the same movie twice.
Couldn't help but compare the two every single minute.
Maybe one year I'll have a Remake Vs. Original Movie Night.