Thursday, March 19, 2015

SXSW: Turbo Kid (2015)

Ridiculously fun movie.  I should stress the "ridiculously" part.  RIDICULOUSLY fun!!!  Enjoyed it.  I've seen my fair share of over the top Japanese gorefest movies.  This one is right along those lines except this is all a big throwback to the 80's.  Big tribute to films like Mad Max, Big Trouble in Little China, The Terminator, Neverending Story.  Hell, one of the main characters looks exactly like Indiana Jones.  The score is all 80's like.  I had fun with it.  I would have wanted just a tad more to the story.  I also had a few moments where I disagreed with some of the plot.  I'm not going to pin point those out.  I did however like some of the characters and some of their dialogue.  The gore?  This wasn't anything new or special but it had a shit load of gore.  Lots of guts and bloody fountains.  Enough to satisfy the midnight gorehounds. So for you fans of Mad Max and ultra violent gorey films, this is worth your time.  Others, avoid or better yet, run far away and keep your head attached.  
This marks my third and final film at SXSW 2015.
This is a 7 out of 10.

The creators were there as well as the director of "Hobo with a Shotgun" (who was the executive producer for this film).