Monday, March 23, 2015

Bicycle Thieves

Went to Vulcan Video the other day to pick up my Hitchcock Thursday movie and as a free
rental, I chose this one.  Why?  Because I'm planning on my buying a bike before the month is over. I almost bought one over the weekend but I decided to wait a little longer.  This movie is also known as The Bicycle Thief.  It's an Italian classic about a father and son who go onto a journey to search for their stolen bike.  A bike the father needs in order to work and provide for his family.  I don't know if it was the wine I was having but this movie was depressing.  The struggle is real!
The ending was depressing.  But that's the whole point of the movie.  You see the struggle people in the lower class go through.  I enjoyed a lot of the scenes.  Not bad for a film that was made in the late 40's.  I love the restaurant scene towards the end.  The father asks his son if he wants pizza.  His son smiles and they go to a fancy restaurant.  They don't serve pizza so the father orders a mozzarella sandwich and bottle full of wine.  Everyone around them are eating big pasta plates.  Such an awesome scene.
This one was okay to see.  I can see why it's special to many.  It didn't touch my heart as I wanted to but I did appreciate it.  A movie that comes to mind that did touch my heart that is somewhat like this is: Children of Heaven.
Researched the movie beforehand and found out about the mozzarella sandwich order in the restaurant so that's exactly what I made.  A grilled mozzarella cheese sandwich, some pasta, and Italian salad.