Sunday, March 15, 2015

SXSW: The Invitation (2015)

Whoa! My first "2015" movie of the year delivered.  It's an indie thriller/horror I saw at SXSW last night at midnight.  I didn't know what to expect.  A lot of poor acting and the story ended up being unoriginal but still, it surprised me and I enjoyed it.  This will come out on DVD/Blu-ray someday but without spoiling too much, I'll describe some of the plot here.  So this couple's son dies and during their mourning, the wife decides to leave and disappear.  That's the backstory.  The movie starts two years later after her disappearance.  The husband (Will) and his new girlfriend are invited by his now ex-wife and her husband to their old house for a reunion dinner.  She invited a lot of other close friends and two strangers.  Lots of talking and intereacting in the first hour.  Will gets suspicious that his ex-wife and her husband are up to something.  Something deadly.  Well, a lot of crazy shit happens.  The last 20 minutes is pure madness.  Let's just say this is like modern horror take on the Jim Jones's story.  You know, that crazy guy who brought thousands together and had them all drink special punch.  Similar twist.  Be afraid of fucking cults, man. That's the horror.  I had no idea they were going to go that route, so it surprised me.  Good ending for a good midnight movie.  Seeing this in the big screen made it really awesome.  I doubt I would've enjoyed it this much at home.  I mean, common sense.  Being there was just a taste of being at Fantastic Fest, except the crowds here are not as awesome.  I'm planning on checking out two or three more midnight movies at SXSW, which are the crazy genre ones.
Giving my first 2015 movie a 8 out of 10.

The director, writers, and some of the cast were present at the screening.