Saturday, December 27, 2014

The Imitation Game (2014)

Last night I saw Fury and this morning I woke up to another World War 2 movie.  This one is a drama and focuses on the man who built a machine and cracked an impossible German code.  Based on a true story.  I really enjoyed this one a little more than I expected.  I heard a big buzz about it.  Especially an Oscar buzz.  And since it mostly takes place during World War 2 (one of my favorite parts of history), I decided to see what the buzz is all about.  Now the performances were okay in my book.  What makes this movie for me is the story and the message.  The message is said in the dialogue:  "Sometimes is the people no one imagines anything of who do the things that no one can imagine."  It is about a man who was different from others.  Yes, it covers his homosexuality secret, which was illegal during those times.  To me, it's much more than that.  It's somewhat inspirational.  Benedict Cumberbatch plays that man.  He did good.  My heart still goes out to Michael Keaton's performance in Birdman.
A good movie that's recommended to those in the mood for a drama.  Clever!  I would buy this for my World War 2 collection.  I can see this getting an Oscar but I don't think I would put it in my personal top 10 favorites of the year.