Sunday, May 11, 2014

Philomena

I decided to watch this movie today for Mother's Day and what a perfect movie it was for the occasion.  This was the only movie left to see that was nominated for Best Picture at this year's Oscars.  It was pretty good.  Emotional drama with a few comedic moments.  I had no idea what the whole plot was about so I was in for a surprise.  Philomena is the true story of this old Irish lady who teams up with a writer to look for her long lost son.  When she was younger, she was a slave to this church run by evil nuns.  One night of curiosity, she got pregnant.  The nuns all disowned her and took her baby away at birth.  She was allowed to see her son for one hour each day.  Then one dreadful day, her son was sold to an American couple and she never saw him again.  50 years later, she's on the search.  Great story.  Made me angry towards the end. 
Definitely a good movie to see on Mother's Day and I would recommend to those looking for
a decent drama.
Made my mom's favorite dish in her honor: Chile Relleno Plate.